Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My First Day at St. Mary's

On Monday, February 9Th, I had my first lab which was at Saint Mary's Elementary School. As soon as we got there, my group was placed in the gym, where we played a few games with the kids. In the beginning it seemed like an absolute mad house and it was overwhelming at first, but after awhile I got used to all the yelling and the constant tugging at the arms. Within the first ten minutes we grouped the children together to explain what game we were going to play first. It was definitely challenging to get their attention, but having experience with children of all ages working at a day care center, I quickly got right back in the swing of things. I simply explained the game, "Temple Tag" and " Blob Tag" and they knew right away what to do and ran right off. After a few taggers, we then moved on to "Rock, Paper, Scissors" by using our bodies. The way our class was taught the game was by breaking off into partners and play continuously by constantly changing partners. The kids did not understand this too well, so we verified the game to fit them and they had a blast with it. After the gym, we then moved downstairs where the kids ate snack and played quiet games with them like Checkers, cards, and Connect Four. After that, we wrapped up the day in the gym and just let the kids have free time and we played whatever they wanted to play really.


All in all, I thought it was a great first day and a fun, valuable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment